Friday, September 23, 2011

Cullum, Botchan Corrupt Principals

mania.com

In Student Days, you can automatically tell that education in Japan is a serious thing. The film in class made it obvious that there was also quite a bit of corruption in the education system. If you had money or if your parents were a ‘big deal’ you could get in without the good grades. Unfortunately, for Botchan, he had no such connections and he had to study. In the film from class, a series of unfortunate events happened to Botchan. His sick brother, that had not even been prepared for the test, passed the test; Botchan, who had studied hard and long, had not passed the test. His brother also ended up with the girl he was in love with and wanted to marry. 
In Botchan it was pretty evident that the principal and the vice principal (Red Shirt and Buffoon) had all the power, and they did not exactly use it right. Hoffa had been kind to Botchan since the moment he had arrived. On the first day of class, the students immediately started ridiculing Botchan. Every day he arrived to class, they had a new cartoon drawing of Botchan with mean things that were meant to humiliate him written next to it. After his night duty mishap, he confronted Red Shirt and Buffoon about it and on a fishing trip, Red Shirt and Buffoon pinned the students behavior or Hoffa. After they turn against eachother, Hoffa stands up for Botchan and Botchan then realizes that Red Shirt and Buffoon were the ones behind the students. The principal and the vice principal were corrupt! 
Our Senior Sweatshirts
In my high school, we always joked with the teachers, but we would have NEVER dared to treat a teacher like the students in Botchan treated Botchan. There was far more teasing among students like the kind in Botchan. My senior year, there was an issue that the student body, mostly the senior students, complained and pushed so hard to get through, that our principal quit over the intercom about. At Belle Chasse High School, we had/have to wear uniforms. A black or red uniform shirt with the school crest and khaki shorts or pants. We had to wear white, black or red socks and we had to have lace up shoes. If you wore an undershirt, it had to be black, white or red. On Fridays, we were able to wear club and senior shirts. We were told that we weren’t going to be able to wear any sweatshirts or shirts that didn’t say ‘Belle Chasse High School’ on it anymore. This excluded all of the club shirts, club sweatshirts, some sports team shirts and last but definitely not least, this means we couldn’t wear our senior sweatshirts and shirts. We were outraged. Everyone got their parents to call to the school and complain. We had bought these shirts sweatshirts from the school, so why couldn’t we wear them to school? Students were dropping by the principals office to complain, and parents were showing up to school to yell at the principal. We ended up pushing him so far, that he told us ‘no more uniforms, I quit’ over the intercom. 
       In my four years of attending Belle Chasse High, there was one teacher that got punched twice. He was seriously annoying and unnecessarily mean to his students though. My freshman year he told a student to shave and that he was writing him up and the kid straight up punched the teacher in the face. Senior year, he took someones phone away, they stood up and slapped him across the face, took their phone and left. So I thought it was appropriate to include a video of a student punching a teacher in the face. This is exactly how the punch went down freshman year, except the teacher didn't push the student first. 



4 comments:

  1. Just watched the saints make a major comeback at the end of the 3rd quarter so I’m pumped up. Did you ever read the book series “A Series of Unfortunate Events”? The only thing I remember from watching student days was when the older brother gets his girlfriend stolen by his younger brother. It reflects how short relationships last when you are so young and immature. We never had anybody punch a teacher at school, but all of our teachers were also coaches. So we probably would have gotten beat. We did not have a set dress code, but we were only allowed to wear collared shirts and khakis. To me that is worse than a set dress code. That video at the end of the movie cracked me up, the teacher looked like he might cry. That is why you don’t push someone bigger than you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many horrible teachers in the world. It makes you wonder why they decided to become teachers anyway, if they don't like kids for whatever reason. I remember being in private elementary school and my entire class of second graders drove our teacher completely insane. I remember her leaving the class crying, we terrorized her so badly. And that was just a group of second graders; she obviously knew nothing about dealing with kids. I really have no idea why or how some people become teachers when its obvious that they really shouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bruson! I tried to read them, but I bounce around so much with books that I can't ever finsh a series if its not called ' Southern Vampire Series' by Charlaine Harris. I also saw the Saints make an amazing comeback, and even if I hadn't been watching the game, I would have heard my dad screaming about it in the living room. To bring up the point you made about how short relationships last when you're young and immature, thats exactly what made my high school experience less than memorable.I was apparently way more mature than my ex, which is saying a lot if you know me. He did a series of very immature things to purposely try and ruin senior year for me! I HATE uniforms but now that we don't have them in college, I hit up the thrift store a little more than I probably should, ahha. Sydney, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Some of them can't even teach well. In high school I feel like they should have prepared us a little more for college. Only two teachers prepared me for college classes, and those high school classes were so hard !

    ReplyDelete